A journal of my progress in losing weight, quitting smoking, and becoming fit

The Last Year

Most of my time and energy over the last year has been directed to my 30 hour per week retail cashier job and looking for a full-time job to replace the one I lost in April 2009. When this first happened, I spent a lot of time figuring out the financial aspects. I decided I would keep my part-time job and collect unemployment, even though 55% of my part-time wages are deducted from my unemployment payments. Even so, that still gives me a little bit more money than just straight unemployment. Not to mention the fact that for that 30 hours per week, I am out of the house and around people. I immediately cut living expenses wherever I could and have been able to stay current with my bills. I absolutely hate collecting unemployment and have tried and tried again to find a fulltime job. I have had more than several interviews for positions that I was very qualified for only to hear, "We have selected another candidate". As time goes on, I am convinced that my age/appearance is directly related. Being almost 51 and 50 pounds overweight is NOT helping me. I have advanced computer and administrative skills, decent interviewing skills, wear a nice suit, and show up smiling and friendly. I always follow up with a professional thank you email. But I don't get the job. The only card I haven't played is the appearance card. This blog is the first step in my preparation to play that card. I am going to lose 50 + pounds through diet and exercise and blog my progress.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Diana!!! Thanks so much for commenting on my blog. I'm signing up on yours!! Oh I know all about the unemployment thing and feeling like weight is a factor....I sitll have 70 lbs to lose!!! I'm looking forward to following your journey as we lose this friggin' weight together! :)

    ReplyDelete