A journal of my progress in losing weight, quitting smoking, and becoming fit

Excuses and the Power of Addiction

Please excuse my absence, but I have spent the last few days in denial, lol. Yes, I did quit smoking last Sunday and I went to buy my bike on Monday. By Monday afternoon, I had convinced myself that it was okay to smoke just a few more days because I don't start my new job until April 12. I made the mistake of not immediately cleaning up my smoking area, which is outside on my balcony. Anyone who has ever been a smoker knows that even a cigarette butt with just a little bit left is tempting when you have gone without. Gross, but sadly true. And of course that led to making a trip to the store. I have managed to get a lot done the last few days including some much needed household cleaning and organization, buying a few new outfits for work, and working at my part-time job. As I write this, I glance into my package of cigarettes and see that I have four cigarettes left. The first thing I am going to do when they are gone is get rid of any smoking evidence on my balcony. Lesson learned. So now, looking forward, today is a new day and I'm off to a good start.

I weighed in this morning for Tammy's Weight Loss Challenge at 174 pounds, which is a loss of 1 pound for the week. Not great, but I really wasn't expecting a loss, so I'll take it. I started the day off with coffee and my favorite breakfast - a green (literally!) smoothie made in my blender. The ingredients vary, but today's included water, splash of 1% milk, fresh spinach, flax seeds, green tea leaves, whole apple, and frozen mango. Here it is in all its green glory:


Once it warms up a little bit today, I plan to take out my new bike for its second ride. I'm ashamed to say that I didn't make it too far the first day before I was exhausted. Thanks to my cashier job, my upper body strength is great, but my lower body has suffered. Here is a picture of my new ride:


I will be updating this post at the end of the day with my progress on not smoking, controlled, healthy eating and bike ride number two! Thank you and a big hug to everyone who has been supporting me as I climb out of my black hole :)

It's not the end of the day, but I'm back with some updates. I took the blue beauty out for a ride in 50-degree sunshine and went about one mile further than the first ride. I even included one more mini hill, whew. These legs need to build some strength. I wonder if any of the passing motorists noticed my red face and heavy breathing?

I just ate lunch which was a salad with baby romaine, carrot, avocado, sunflower seeds, grated parmesan and caesar dressing. Not my favorite mix, but I need to get to the store for some more fresh veggies.




Then, I was out to the balcony for the last cigarette. Learning from a past recent mistake, I'm headed out there momentarily to purge any evidence that I was ever a smoker.

2 comments:

  1. New bike, green smoothie - a great combo! Go girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excuses and the power of addiction...sadly, a great title. What is it about those little best friends that come in a package of 20? I will follow your journey. As I shared with one of my nieces several years ago, dumbest thing I ever did was to start smoking and the dumbester thing is that I am still doing it! My comment is not about me however as I am sending support your recongizing that "kicking butt" is a journey!

    ReplyDelete